Sunday 29 January 2017

Is horary an advanced technique?

Just like any students of astrology in modern times, I began my astrological journey with natal analysis.  This was then followed by forecasting techniques.  Finally, I moved onto what were described as advanced techniques:  midpoints, harmonics, synastry, horary, electional, mundane astrology etc.  I had always assumed this is the standard astrological pathway, from foundation to advanced astrology.   Until one day, I came across the following  passage in John Frawley's 'The Horary Textbook' p3:

'Horary was traditionally regarded as being the student's point of entrance to the study of astrology.  One reason for this is that it is much simpler than other branches of astrology, such as natal or mundane.  It thus enables the student to achieve with comparative ease a mastery of the techniques that form the bulk of those used, with greater elaboration, in these other branches.'

My mind completely restructured itself after reading this, as I had always believed natal analysis is the foundation of astrology.  I recall feeling rather lost after studying natal astrology, but everything began to fall into place when I embarked on forecasting techniques.  Suddenly, natal work made more sense to me.  Now I know why - if natal work is the last part the ancients used to assimilate, then no wonder it is a challenge for us moderners to grasp as the starting point!  It is like beginning our education at University level and working our way down to kindergarten.  However, this trend is likely to continue as newcomers are more interested in understanding about themselves rather than in learning about asking horary questions.  At least, that was my intention initially; I was interested in knowing more about myself, but when I encountered traditional astrology and witnessed the power of horary astrology, my loyalty began to wander!

So to answer my original question 'Is horary an advanced technique?' No, it is not an advanced technique per se, as you only need to have a basic grasp of the planets, signs and houses to begin learning it.  However, as with other branches of astrology (and anything else we learn), it can become advanced as we refine our methods.  For me, during the early stage, I found it helpful to have a firm grasp of the essential dignities and debilities, reception and house placements.  Later on, as I became more comfortable with the technique,  I added in fixed stars, the concept of collection and antiscia.  And of course, copious amounts of practice is a necessity.

I have a predominance of planets in earth signs so I like to take things slowly and steadily.  I used to think that horary is one of the last pieces to add to the top of the astrology tower, but now I know otherwise - it can come much earlier, at the discretion of the learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flowing with the Full Moon in Scorpio 2024

 A powerful full moon occurs at 4 degrees Scorpio on 23rd April 2024 at 7:48am HK time (00:48 BST). The modern ruler of this full moon, Plut...